Friday, October 09, 2015

Terror strikes home

They are apparently called terrorists
They came with guns and bombs
Blew my fellow people, destroyed families
Ravaged cities and set others on 'high alert'
Yet they did not strike terror in my heart
Overcoming grief, I continued to live
Head held high and with no fear of them
But terror was to strike again
From close quarters, in different ways
I am terrorized now and fear for life and freedom
Fear for myself and for others
I fear that I may be attacked
Lynched, stripped, intimated, humiliated
For what I wear, for what I eat
For what I read and who I love
Fear that acts of peace like sport and art
Will be drowned in the politics of hate
Fear the death of reason and the path of doom
That popular presidents professed
Fear for people who're forced
To live around toxic dumps
Even as people pretend to clean India
Fear the destruction that development brings
Fear that I shall be branded, and labelled
And thrown on either sides of the fence
Without as much a chance to argue
Argue, reason? No way, I'm too terrorized
All I can say is among those who intended to strike terror
Some are doing a better job than others
Some have indeed struck terror, but with time
I shall overcome this too

No comments: